With all the pottery making I’ve been doing lately, I had forgotten all about the heat gun I have stored in my studio closet. I pulled it out today because I’m practicing making lids. I can quickly dry the lip and lid to fit them together using that heat gun.
The idea is to make lids until I can make them easily. Every so often I practice but I never actually get better at it … but someday if I keep practicing, maybe whatever switch that needs to switch on in my head will switch on … I like to watch pottery videos of how to make lids …some people throw them on the wheel. Others swear by handbuilding. Some use a mixture of both.
Me? I’ve failed more times than I can count, and even when I get a lid to fit, it doesn’t fit the style of the pot, usually.
I threw this cup and then threw the lid. I used the calipers. I used the heat gun. I fitted one on the other. I put the lid on top of another container and swelled out the top with my fingertip. I used the heat gun again. I put it on top of the cup.
I intensely disliked the result.
I messed with it some more (added a handle) and thought, “PRONGS” … gonna try prongs.
I still intensely dislike the result. I got to looking at it, and decided that maybe I could put little round balls on the ends like is on some jewelry prongs, so I came up with ……
……. this ….
I strengthened the joints with coils of clay and while this is somewhat strange, I don’t dislike it as strongly as the previous.
This is my jumping off point … I will continue to think about this particular idea and see what it evolves into.
Thanks for stopping by.